Oral, once-daily dosing
IMBRUVICA® is available in two formulations, including a one-tablet, once-daily option
Please refer to the full Prescribing Information for BR and obinutuzumab dosing details.
- IMBRUVICA® tablets or capsules should be swallowed whole with water at approximately the same time each day
- Do not open, break, or chew the capsules. Do not cut, crush or chew the tablets.
- Patients should take a missed dose of IMBRUVICA® as soon as possible on the SAME DAY, with a return to the regular schedule on the following day
- If a full day of treatment is missed, patients should NOT take extra doses to make up for the missed dose
- Patients should NOT take more than their prescribed dose per day
- Instruct your patients to call their healthcare provider or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away if they take too much IMBRUVICA®
Once-daily dosing is necessary to ensure inhibition of BTK enzymatic activity1
Inhibition of BTK by IMBRUVICA® has a disruptive effect on 3 key B-cell processes as shown by in vitro and in vivo studies1:
- Inhibits survival and proliferation1-6
- Inhibits adhesion1,6-11
- Modulates chemotaxis and trafficking1,5,7,9,11-14
Correlation to clinical effect has not been established.
BR=bendamustine and rituximab, BTK=Bruton's tyrosine kinase, CLL=chronic lymphocytic leukemia, SLL=small lymphocytic lymphoma.
- IMBRUVICA® (ibrutinib) Prescribing Information. Pharmacyclics LLC. 2019.
- Burger JA, Buggy JJ. Bruton tyrosine kinase (BTK) inhibitor ibrutinib (PCI-32765). Leuk Lymphoma. 2013;54(11):2385-2391.
- Honigberg LA, Smith AM, Sirisawad M, et al. The Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitor PCI-32765 blocks B-cell activation and is efficacious in models of autoimmune disease and B-cell malignancy. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010;107(29):13075-13080.
- Cinar M, Hamedani F, Mo Z, et al. Bruton tyrosine kinase is commonly overexpressed in mantle cell lymphoma and its attenuation by ibrutinib induces apoptosis. Leuk Res. 2013;37(10):1271-1277.
- Ponader S, Chen S-S, Buggy JJ, et al. The Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitor PCI-32765 thwarts chronic lymphocytic leukemia cell survival and tissue homing in vitro and in vivo. Blood. 2012;119(5):1182-1189.
- Herman SEM, Gordon AL, Hertlein E, et al. Bruton tyrosine kinase represents a promising therapeutic target for treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia and is effectively targeted by PCI-32765. Blood. 2011;117(23):6287-6296.
- Chang BY, Francesco M, Steggerda S, et al. Ibrutinib inhibits malignant cell adhesion and migration and reduces tumor burden in lymph node and bone marrow in a murine model of mantle cell dissemination and progression. Presented at: 104th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; April 6-10, 2013; Washington, DC. Abstract 923.
- Binsky I, Lantner F, Grabovsky V, et al. TAp63 regulates VLA-4 expression and chronic lymphocytic leukemia cell migration to the bone marrow in a CD74-dependent manner. J Immunol. 2010;184(9):4761-4769.
- Kurtova AV, Tamayo AT, Ford RJ, Burger JA. Mantle cell lymphoma cells express high levels of CXCR4, CXCR5, and VLA-4 (CD49d): importance for interactions with the stromal microenvironment and specific targeting. Blood. 2009;113(19):4604-4613.
- Chang BY, Francesco M, de Rooij MFM, et al. Egress of CD19+CD5+ cells into peripheral blood following treatment with the Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitor ibrutinib in mantle cell lymphoma patients. Blood. 2013;122(14):2412-2424.
- de Rooij MFM, Kuil A, Geest CR, et al. The clinically active BTK inhibitor PCI-32765 targets B-cell receptor- and chemokine-controlled adhesion and migration in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood. 2012;119(11):2590-2594.
- Kindt TJ, Goldsby RA, Osborne BA. Kuby Immunology. 6th ed. New York, NY: W.H. Freeman; 2007.
- Burger JA, Ghia P, Rosenwald A, Caligaris-Cappio F. The microenvironment in mature B-cell malignancies: a target for new treatment strategies. Blood. 2009;114(16):3367-3375.
- Davids MS, Burger JA. Cell trafficking in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Open J Hematol. 2012;3(S1)-3. Published online February 21, 2012.